Pages

Thursday 1 June 2023

Step by Step Tutorial - Pendulum cards

Hey Tea-timers, how are you? For this month's technique, I'll be sharing with you how to make rocking pendulum cards!!


They look complicated, but I promise they're easier than they look! 

Supplies:
Instructions:

First you'll need a circle of card for your main card panel, and also a scrap paper circle of the same size. I used my circle dies to cut them out. 



Next, we need to find the centre of the circle. To do this, fold the scrap circle in half and then in half again. Open it up, and at the centre point, poke a small hole. Lay your scrap circle on top of your card, then mark where the centre is through the little hole.



Next, you'll need a small circle die, to die cut a circle where we've marked the centre point. Then, we need to die cut a slightly larger circle, too. Place these to one side for a moment while we make our pendulum mechanism. 



We'll need to cut a small strip of acetate (try to use nice, sturdy stuff). The strip should be about 1/4" wide and just shorter than the height of your card. To one end of the acetate strip, we need to glue a penny or other small coin. 



While this dries, grab a button that will fit in the hole we cut from our circle card base. Glue this to the slightly larger circle we die cut earlier, and place the card base over the top, so the button is poking through from the reverse. 



Next, add some double sided tape to the button, and adhere the centre of the acetate strip to the top of it. This is the time to trim the acetate to the right size so the coin isn't hanging too low (as we'll be adding foam tape around the bottom). You now have a pendulum card! 



When you move the card base from left to right, the weight of the penny will cause the acetate strip to move, too. So now, we just need to turn this into a card.

For my card, I stamped, coloured and die cut my sheep, and glued it to the top of the acetate strip. I then stamped, coloured and die cut a fence panel, as well as some grass using the slimline hillside scene dies. To make sure they were a perfect fit for the card, I die cut the bottom of them with the same circle die that I'd used for my card base.

We need to give the pendulum mechanism room to move, so we'll need to add our scenery with foam tape. I used a double layer, around the edge of the bottom half of my card, and added the fence & grass on top.



To finish up my card, I die cut a few clouds, which I glued to my background (using liquid glue as you don't want anything with dimension that might catch the pendulum), then I stamped and die-cut my sentiment, which I also attached with liquid glue over the grass.

To make my card base, I die cut two more circles the same size as the card panel, then scored along the top of one, about 1/4 from the top. I glued my second circle to the section above the score line, to make a circle card base, then added my panel to the top. 


I hope this tutorial was helpful, and if you make a pendulum card, I'd love to see it! Don't forget you can get 10% off your order using code T4TJAYNE10.






Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, it really does brighten my day!

Other Posts You Might Like